Dr. Rick Pfeiffer
General Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine
After more than two decades of providing the highest level of orthopaedic care throughout the country, Dr. Richard Pfeiffer brings his sports medicine expertise back to the Colorado High Country at our VSON location at Middle Park Health in Grand County. Dr. Pfeiffer was born and raised in Colorado Springs and spent years falling in love with the outdoor activities our patients are so enamored with. By joining our team of world-class surgeons at VSON, Dr. Pfeiffer is achieving two of his most important goals: returning to his home state and providing top-level orthopaedic care to the community he’s proud to belong to once again.
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology: Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT
Pre-Medical Education: University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO
Doctor of Medicine: University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA
Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship: Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Surgery of the Hand
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
Arthroscopy Association of North America
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Hawkins Shoulder Society
AO Alumni Association
US Ski Team
Team Summit: Medical Director
• Schoderbek RJ, Battaglia TC, Dorf ER, Kahler DM. Traumatic hemipelvectomy: case report and literature review. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2005 Jun; 125(5): 358-62.
• Dorf E, Belzile E, Foster W. Chondrosarcoma Adjacent to Total Knee Arthroplasty Presenting as Osteolysis. The Journal of Arthroplasty. Accepted, in revision.
•Dorf E, Kuntz A, Kelsey J, Holstege CP. Lidocaine-induced altered mental status and seizure following hematoma block. J Emerg Me. J Emerg Med. 2006 Oct; 31(3): 251-3.
• Pannunzio M, MD , Dorf E MD, Chhabra AB, MD, Multiple Ganglion Cyst Formation on a Flexor Tendon After Surgical Release of a Trigger Finger: A Case Report. Am J Orthop. 2006 May; 35(5): 237-9.
• Dorf E MD, Chhabra AB MD A, McGinty J MD, Golish R MD, PhD, Pannunzio M MD, The Effect of Elbow Position on Grip Strength in the Evaluation of Lateral Epicondylitis. Journal of Hand Surg 2007; 32A: 882--886.
•University of Virginia, Department of Orthpaedics Intern Core Curriculum: An introduction to basic orthopedic principles through a selective literature review. Conceived and edited by Dorf E MD. Approved by faculty and incorporated into resident educational curriculum June
• 2015: Highest Patient Satisfaction Score, Summit Medical Center
•2015: 2nd Place Age 40-50 Leadvill e 100 Mountain Bike Race
•2014: Subspecialty Certificate for Surgery of the Hand
•2013: 4th Place Age 40-50 Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race
• 2013: 1st Place Grand Fondo Division Mount Evans Hill Climb Bike Race
•2004-2008: Numerous Journal Publications, Book Chapters and Invited Articles
•2005: 4th Annual AOA-OREF-Zimmer Resident Leadership Award
•2004: UVA Award for Highest Orthopedic In-Training Exam Score
•2003: Junior Resident of the Year, University of Virginia, Department of Orthopedics
•2000: Award for Academic Excellence during second year medical school
•1998: First Place: World Alpine Synchro Ski Championships
• 1994: Community Service Award for work with Building With
Team Physician, US Ski Team
Medical Advisory Committee, Peak One Surgery Center
Visiting Assistant Professor, Western University
Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Virginia
Peer Review Committee, Summit Medical Center