You are here
Dr. Braxton is accepting appointments now and will begin seeing patients July 3rd.
Dr. Braxton is a board-certified neurosurgeon specializing in brain tumors, neurotrauma, and complex and minimally invasive spine surgery. He first fell in love with the Rocky Mountains while studying at the United States Air Force Academy, in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He completed medical school at the University of Pennsylvania and residency at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. While in Pittsburgh, he earned his MBA from the Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon University and rang the opening bell at the NASDAQ for his accomplishments in the field of entrepreneurship.
Before joining Vail-Summit Orthopaedics, he was the chief of neurosurgery at San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC). SAMMC is the Department of Defense’s largest medical treatment facility and has the highest acuity and volume of any hospital in our military health system. During his military service, he was the theater neurosurgeon in charge while deployed in Afghanistan where he contributed to the 96% survivability rate for incoming wounded. While working in a combat zone, he acquired extensive experience with blast and traumatic brain injuries, as well as complex spinal fractures resulting from high-energy improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
Dr. Braxton is passionate about minimally invasive spine surgery because patients return to performance faster. He served as clinical professor of surgery at The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio (UTHSA) and has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications. When out of the OR, he is a champion for the prevention and management of brain injuries and concussions.
During his free time, Dr. Braxton enjoys spending time with friends and family as well as participating in outdoor activities, including skiing and biking.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Master of Business Administration: Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- General Surgery Internship: Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX
- Neurosurgery Residency: Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Fellow
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- San Antonio Military Medical Center, Chief of Neurosurgery
- United States Air Force (Medical Corps), Lieutenant Colonel
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
- Air Force Longevity Service Award
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
- Air Force Training Ribbon
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Medal
- Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
- United States Air Force Commendation Medal