At Vail-Summit Orthopaedics, we are dedicated to athlete safety, which is why we’ve established our Concussion Clinic so young athletes in our community have access to post-concussive care to ensure their long-term health and well-being. Our Concussion Clinic features state-of-the-art ImPACT® concussion testing overseen by Greg Schlossinger, A.T.C., with evaluation from board-certified neurosurgeon Ernest E. Braxton Jr., M.D.
Usually caused by a blow to the head or violent shaking of the head or upper body, concussions are particularly common if you play a contact sport, such as football, hockey, lacrosse, or rugby, but you can sustain a concussion in any sport.
What you need to know about concussions:
- Baseline testing is recommended for all school-aged athletes before the sport begins in order to compare with a follow-up test if a concussion is suspected.
- Effects can be temporary and can include headaches and problems with concentration, memory, balance, and coordination.
- In some cases, the injury can cause the individual to lose consciousness.
- Professional early evaluation is important in diagnosing a concussion.
- Most people recover fully after a concussion, but it can take days or weeks with modified activity, rest, and medical intervention.
- Some high school athletes may be returning to the field too early after suffering a concussion, and we know that a single concussion experienced by a child or teenager may have lasting repercussions on mental health and intellectual and physical function throughout adulthood.
Our Concussion Clinic
Using ImPACT (immediate post-concussion assessment and cognitive testing) as a measurement tool, our specialty-trained providers manage concussion care before, during, and after a concussion is diagnosed.
At our convenient one-stop, full-service Concussion Clinic, athletes receive:
- Comprehensive concussion management and post-injury treatment
- ImPACT testing from our certified ImPACT Trained Athletic Trainer
- Preseason baseline testing
- Individualized return-to-school and return-to-play programs developed specifically for the athlete and their sport
For more information or to schedule an appointment at our Concussion Clinic at our Edwards location, please call (970) 477-7419 or request an appointment online.